If you’re looking to improve the function of your garage and the curb appeal of your home, you may be considering installing a new garage door. Before you make that decision, though, there are several factors to take into consideration. Ask your trusted Boston contractor for advice when choosing the right garage door for you.
Garage doors come in a wide variety of materials, but the most common ones are:
- Aluminum: This material is inexpensive but sturdy, and it comes in a variety of colors and styles. However, aluminum can dent easily, depending on insulation and thickness.
- Steel: This material can withstand wet weather and high winds very easily, and you don’t have to devote a lot of maintenance to it. Steel doors can mimic the look of authentic wood doors, so if you want the elegance of a wooden door without the upkeep or cost, go with steel.
- Wood: This traditional material is great for older homes, and it comes in a variety of colors and stains. These solid, sturdy doors are beautiful but may not be the best choice if you live in a coastal area or one with a lot of humidity. They also need a lot of regular maintenance to retain their beauty.
There are many styles to choose from that will complement your home’s design and color scheme:
- Traditional: This style features squares or rectangles that run horizontally across the door. You can paint these doors to match the rest of your exteriors, and they do well with traditional architecture. Some have paneled windows on top and some don’t.
- Modern: These are found most often on contemporary homes, defined by classic detail and clean lines. They often feature large glass-paneled windows for lots of natural light.
- Carriage house: This style is a combination of an old-fashioned barn door and a modern overhead garage door. This rustic look best complements traditional architecture.
You have plenty of customization options to choose from when considering a new garage door:
- Panel designs: Available in short or long patterns, as well as flush or raised options, the one you choose will depend on the architecture of your home.
- Windows: This is an easy way to add character to your door, plus they offer lots of natural light for homeowners who plan to use their garage as a craft space or workshop. There are many glass options to choose from, including frosted windows for privacy or high-impact glass for protection in high-wind areas.
- Decorative hardware: This is a nice way to personalize your garage door design. Carriage house style doors often feature handles and hinges, but you can incorporate these into any door style.
The price you pay will depend on the size, material, finish, and style you choose. You’ll pay more for additions such as a garage door opener or insulation. Don’t forget to include installation costs in your price tag when coming up with your budget. Call a few companies beforehand to get an idea of labor and material costs in your area.
You can reduce energy costs by installing an insulated garage door with a high R-value.
Garage Door Opener
Many people buy a new garage door opener at the time they buy their new garage door. The opener should have a lifting capacity that complements the new garage door’s weight. Today’s garage door openers feature many upgrades boasting the latest technology for safety and convenience.
Contact AD Construction
No matter which garage door you choose, it’s important to hire a Boston contractor for professional installation. This will ensure long-lasting function, beauty, and energy efficiency so you get the most lifespan out of your door as possible. Start with a free quote when you contact us at 877-345-BUILD.